The occurrences of unexpected failures in heavy earthmoving machines (HEMMs) lead to the downtime
that reduces the productivity, safety, and reliability of the machines. Unwanted failures increase the likelihood of
unplanned maintenance activities. Dragline is an HEMM used in the opencast coal mines for removal of the
overburden and its failure is undesirable as the capital invested on draglines are very high. This paper utilises the
failure mode, effects and criticality analysis (FMECA) to identify the critical failure components of the dragline
system and their root causes. Seven subsystems and thirty components for failure have been identified in the two-
year maintenance record 2014-16 of dragline. Risk estimation has been carried out for the dragline components to
estimate the risk priority number (RPN) considering four factors: failure occurrence, production loss, degradation in
performance, and detectability. The RPN is used to categorise the components into three groups: high, medium, and
low risk components. Based on the risk groups of component, the inspection interval and inspection time can be
optimised to avoid the unexpected failure of the component and eventually improving the productivity of the
Keywords: Dragline; FMECA; risk priority number; maintenance; HEMM
1. Adar, E., Ince, M., Karatop, B., and Bilgili, M. S. (2017): The risk analysis by failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA) and
fuzzy-FMEA of supercritical water gasification system used in the sewage sludge treatment. Journal of Environmental Chemical
Engineering, 5(1), 1261–1268. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.jece.2017.02.006
2. Arabian-Hoseynabadi, H., Oraee, H., and Tavner, P. J. (2010): Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) for wind turbines.
International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 32(7), 817–824. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes. 2010.01.019
3. Arunraj, N. S. and Maiti, J. (2007): Risk-based maintenance- Techniques and applications. Journal of Hazardous Materials,
142(3), 653–661. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat. 2006.06.069
4. Balaraju, J., Govinda Raj, M., and Murthy, C. S. (2019): Fuzzy-FMEA risk evaluation approach for LHD machine-A case
study. Journal of Sustainable Mining, 18(4), 257–268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsm.2019.08.002
5. Carmignani, G. (2009): An integrated structural framework to cost-based FMECA: The priority-cost FMECA. Reliability
Engineering and System Safety, 94(4), 861–871. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2008.09.009
6. Chang, C. L., Liu, P. H., and Wei, C. C. (2001): Failure mode and effects analysis using grey theory. Integrated Manufacturing
Systems, 12(3), 211–216. https://doi.org/ 10.1108/095760601103911747. Chang, W. L., Pang, L. M. and Tay, K. M. (2017): Application of self-organizing map to failure modes and effects analysis
methodology. Neurocomputing, 249, 314–320. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2016.04.073
8. Chen, K. S., Wang, C. C., Wang, C. H. and Huang, C. F. (2010): Application of RPN analysis to parameter optimization of
passive components. Microelectronics Reliability, 50(12), 2012–2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2010.06.014
9. Demirel, N.and Golbasi, O. (2016): Preventive Replacement Decisions for Dragline Components Using Reliability
Analysis. Minerals, 6(2), 51. https://doi.org/10.3390/min6020051
10. Feili, H. R., Akar, N., Lotfizadeh, H., Bairampour, M. and Nasiri, S. (2013): Risk analysis of geothermal power plants using
Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) technique. Energy Conversion and Management, 72, 69–76.
11. Golbasi, O. and Demirel, N. (2017): A cost-effective simulation algorithm for inspection interval optimization: An
application to mining equipment. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 113, 525–540. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2017.09.002
12. Golbas1, O. and Demirel, N. (2017): Optimisation of dragline inspection intervals with time-counter algorithm.
International Journal of Mining, Reclamation and Environment, 31(6), 412–425. https://doi.org/10.1080/17480930.2017.1339168
13. Helvacioglu, S. and Ozen, E. (2014): Fuzzy based failure modes and effect analysis for yacht system design. Ocean
Engineering, 79, 131–141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2013.12.015
14. Kim, K. O. and Zuo, M. J. (2018): General model for the risk priority number in failure mode and effects analysis. Reliability
Engineering and System Safety, 169, 321–329. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ress.2017.09.010
15. Li, Y. and Liu, W. (2013): Dynamic dragline modeling for operation performance simulation and fatigue life prediction.
Engineering Failure Analysis, 34, 93–101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2013.07.020
16. Lo, H.-W. and Liou, J. J. H. (2018): A novel multiple-criteria decision-making-based FMEA model for risk assessment.
Applied Soft Computing Journal, 73, 684–696. https://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.asoc.2018.09.020
17. Lo, H. W., Liou, J. J. H., Huang, C. N. and Chuang, Y. C. (2019): A novel failure mode and effect analysis model for
machine tool risk analysis. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 183, 173–183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2018.11.018
18. Mzougui, I. and Felsoufi, Z. El. (2019): Proposition of a modified FMEA to improve reliability of product. Procedia
CIRP, 84, 1003–1009. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.procir.2019.04.315
19. Passath, T. and Mertens, K. (2019): Decision Making in Learn Smart Maintenance/ : Criticality Analysis as a Support Tool.
IFAC-PapersOnLine, 52(10), 364–369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2019.10.058
20. Ponnusamy, M. and Maity, T. (2016): Recent advancements in Dragline control systems. Journal of Mining Science, 52(1),
21. Rai, P., Yadav, U. and Kumar, A. (2011): Productivity Analysis of Draglines Operating in Horizontal and Vertical Tandem
Mode of Operation in a Coal Mine-A Case Study. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 29(4), 493–504.
22. Rajput, P., Malvoni, M., Kumar, N. M. and Tiwari, G. N. (2019): Risk priority number for understanding the severity of
photovoltaic failure modes and their impacts on performance degradation. Case Studies in Thermal Engineering, 16, 100563.
23. Renjith, V. R., Jose kalathil, M., Kumar, P. H. and Madhavan, D. (2018): Fuzzy FMECA (failure mode effect and criticality
analysis) of LNG storage facility. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 56, 537–547.
24. Renu, R., Visotsky, D., Knackstedt, S., Mocko, G., Summers, J. D. and Schulte, J. (2016). A Knowledge Based FMEA to
Support Identification and Management of Vehicle Flexible Component Issues. Procedia CIRP, 44, 157–162.
25. Scheu, M. N., Tremps, L., Smolka, U., Kolios, A. and Brennan, F. (2019): A systematic Failure Mode Effects and Criticality
Analysis for offshore wind turbine systems towards integrated condition based maintenance strategies. Ocean Engineering,
176, 118–133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2019.02.04826. Sharma, R. K., Kumar, D. and Kumar, P. (2005): Systematic failure mode effect analysis (FMEA) using fuzzy linguistic